Freshfields in Greece
Having worked in Greece for decades, we have lawyers who understand the country’s legal system and business culture intimately. We know what works and what does not; this allows us to give the best advice to meet our clients’ needs.
We advise Greek businesses and institutions and leading international companies on their acquisitions, disposals and financings, and represent them during arbitration proceedings. We have particular experience in state-related mandates including privatisations and restructurings. This is supported by our top-ranked Brussels practice, which is well-versed on issues such as the legal basis of the eurozone, and EU competition and state aid rules.
Our Greece country partners visit the country regularly and understand how to work there successfully. Our team includes lawyers with 20 years’ experience in Greece and native Greek speakers who have studied and/or worked in the country, and know the commercial and cultural environments in which our clients operate.
Whatever a client's challenge, choosing us means they will have access to our international network and benefit from the best Greek counsel – all wrapped up in exceptional, seamless service.
- the all-share buyout of Greek lender Eurobank;
- the acquisition of a controlling stake in Finansbank for $2.77bn, Vojvodjanska Bank in Serbia and United Bulgaria Bank in Bulgaria;
- the reorganisation of its banking activities in southeast Europe; and
- an assessment under the EU state aid rules of a plan to buy back hybrid capital instruments and our assistance in notifying such plan to the European Commission.
- all state aid risks and antitrust issues arising from its entire privatisation programme;
- the corporate and regulatory restructuring and sale or proposed privatisation of Greece's 12 largest ports; and
- the privatisation of its 33 per cent shareholding in the Hellenic Football Prognostic Organisation to raise €712m for the Greek government.